The Web3 space is beginning to see more optimism as broader adoption continues to manifest on the horizon.
In today’s roundup, big names such as Meta, Porsche, and Yves Saint Laurent Beauty, asserted their position in Web3 with their initiatives. Meanwhile, blockchain-focused events, projects, and entities are also making some significant moves as of late. This includes, Avatar Game Studio, Doodles, Engage XR, Gam3rs Choice Awards, OpenSea, Utherverse, and WGMI.io, and many more.
Last but not least, Web3 gaming saw some notable developments as well. Titles that made some waves recently include AI Arena, Axie Infinity, Dimensionals, Dookie Dash, Kryptomon, Search for Animera, and Uldor, among others.
Here are the stories that shape Web3.
- L’Oreal-owned cosmetics line Yves Saint Laurent Beauty has confirmed the launch of a two-part NFT campaign. Dubbed “Black Opium: the Night Is Ours,” the initiative is intended to honor the company’s Black Opium fragrance line. Kicking off the project is “YSL Beauty Night Blocks.” The collection consists of 2014 NFTs that pays tribute to the product’s year of creation. This will be followed by the “YSL Beauty Night Masters.” The NFT drop aims to raise funds for the “Abuse Is Not Love” charity program (NFTE).
- German automobile brand Porsche has launched its first NFT collection. Basically, the project consists of 7,500 editions that pay homage to the company’s revered 911 sports car. Released in four waves, the offering allowed collectors to mint up to three NFTs at 0.911 $ETH each ($1,490.33 as of this writing). At press time, the Porsche NFTs’ floor price reached 0.92 $ETH ($1,505.06). On the other hand, the most expensive piece has a 3,513 $ETH ($5,747,022.09) price tag (per OpenSea) (TW).
- Play-to-earn (P2E) game Axie infinity’s native token Axie Infinity Shards ($AXS) recently experienced a 40% rally in the past 24 hours. At some point, $AXS even traded at a four-month high of $13.95, before pulling back to $12.05 (per CoinGecko). The move comes as a surprise since the community is expecting the game to unlock 4.8 million $AXS tokens (around $58 million) (CD).
- Blue-chip NFT collection Doodles has acquired award-winning animation studio Golden Wolf. The Emmy-nominated entity is best-known for its works with brands such as Adidas, Adult Swim, Disney, KFC, and TikTok, among others. The new development will allow Doodles to foray into unexplored types of content. This includes “storytelling without constraints & AI animation generation R&D” (DL).
- Voting for the inaugural Gam3rs Choice Awards has officially ended. The Web3-dedicated in-person award show will happen on the 31st of January, in Miami, Florida, with live streaming on Twitch and YouTube. P2E Analytics recently caught up with Gam3rs’ Choice Awards host iceyyy to talk about his excitement for the upcoming show. “I am extremely excited to premiere all of our hard work and announce the winners of the first inaugural Gam3rs’ Choice Awards!” iceyyy stated via chat (TW).
- Web3 esports engagement platform Yesports.gg has kicked off the registration phase for its three-day digital conference Convergence 2023. The event will feature founders from 35 Web3 games such as Decentral Games, MetalCore, Shatterpoint, Undead Blocks, and Zed Run. Furthermore, the event will also reveal more about Yesports’ plans to launch a Web3 gaming and Esports collectible marketplace. According to Yesports founder Sebastian Quinn, the platform is “where we will continue to bring the Convergence vision to life” (CM).
- Web3 game dev team Unicorn Labs has announced the launch of its massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG) ‘Search for Animera’ on the Immutable X ecosystem. Basically, the project’s gameplay is focused on the conquest and exploration of alien planets set in a fictional galaxy. The team behind the game’s production include industry veterans who have worked with companies such as Konami Gaming and Wunderman Thompson (VB).
- Play-and-earn game Kryptomon has announced a marketing partnership with an upcoming Habbo Hotel project called Habbo X. The collaboration is part of the launch of Kryptomon’s augmented reality (AR) treasure hunt game “Pink Moon.” For this project, Kryptomon will feature Habbo in the forthcoming edition of the game. Additionally, the team will also reward winning participants with exclusive shirts, hoodies, and NFTs, among others (GL).
- Top NFT marketplace OpenSea saw a notable increase in sales this month, as revealed in analytics platform Dune’s blockchain data. So far, the digital asset platform has already recorded $320 million worth of Ethereum trades. This is a decent improvement compared to December 2022’s $283.5 million. However, it’s still a long way before OpenSea can match its best performance in January 2022, when the platform raked in $4.86 billion worth of Ethereum NFT sales (DC).
- In a bid to expand its features and audience, NFT Portfolio app Floor has acquired NFT analytics platform WGMI.io. The merger will equip Floor with WGMI’s analytics on market activity and trends. Floor’s move follows through on its momentum in December 2022 when the app accounted for 8% of sales on OpeanSea (DC).
- Real-time NFT loans platform Zharta has officially launched. According to Zharta co-founder and CEO Nuno Cortesão, “NFT financialization is a space that has seen explosive growth,” but hasn’t reached its potential yet. Among the company’s goals are to simplify loan processes and maintain top market rates. Moreover, they also aim to offer features that the team has been developing “with guidance from our community” (EIN).
- In Tokyo, Japan, a group of evacuees from war-afflicted Ukraine has started to learn how to create NFT art. To help the migrants find jobs in the country, a private organization held a workshop on NFT technology. The seminar featured Kabashima Seiichiro as the lecturer. Seiichiro is a well-known artificial intelligence (AI) artist in the region (NHK).
Into the Metaverse
- User generated content (UGC)-driven metaverse platform MTWorld has formed a partnership with Singapore-based Web3 game company Avatar Game Studio. The team-up will allow Avatar to produce titles for the MTWorld metaverse. In addition, the collaboration will also help the platform grow its blockchain gaming portfolio and reach a wider audience (DJ).
- Virtual reality (VR) company Engage XR has introduced “Athena,” an AI-powered virtual employee in the metaverse. Engage revealed the fully interactive personnel’s capability to take voice commands and even complete tasks. Some of Athena’s roles include answering questions, creating AI imagery providing advice, and interacting with other functions (SR).
- Metaverse platform Utherverse founder and CEO Brian Shuster has been granted seven new patents for virtual world-focused technologies. Shuster plans to deploy the latest capabilities on the platform’s succeeding versions by mid-2023. Basically, the innovations are designed to enhance metaverse experiences, as well as “solve some inherent and significant problems with the operation of metaverse platforms” (BW).
- Social media giant Meta recently announced plans to bring the 2023 Rugby World Cup to the metaverse. Reports reveal that the company will offer immersive virtual experiences to the tournament via Facebook, Instagram, and WhatsApp. Partners for the said project include BETC Paris, Havas Play, and Unit9 (NFTG).
Around the Blockchain
- NITI Aayog, the apex public policy think tank of the Government of India, has launched a blockchain module. The project was created in conjunction with blockchain ecosystem 5ire and mentorship and career exploration platform Network Capital. In essence, the project is under the support of NITI Aayog’s Atal Innovation Mission (AIM) (CD).
- Blockchain infrastructure provider Calimero Network has secured $8.5 million in a seed funding round. The company will use the capital to develop sharding capabilities for Web3 networks. Entities that joined the fundraise include Khosla Ventures, Lyrik Ventures, and Near Foundation (SA).
- Crypto-focused asset management firm Pantera Capital is setting the stage for the “Pantera Blockchain Summit.” The event will take place from April 3-4, at The Ritz Carlton in San Francisco, USA. The summit aims to bring together Pantera’s “family of portfolio companies, partners, and investors,” to engage in activities centered on “learning, inspiration, and connection.” Moreover, the event is also the 10th year anniversary celebration of Pantera’s entry into Web3 (PC).
Web3 Content Creators
- Brycent: Web3 content creator Brycent recently put a few projects under the spotlight. This includes NFT basketball fantasy game Sorare NBA, which the influencer believes is “one of the best gaming use cases we’ve seen in web3 gaming.” In addition, Brycent also showcased Yuga Labs’ new game Dookey Dash.
- Cagy: One of the games that Web3 gaming YouTuber Cagy seems bullish on is a project called Ape Reunion. In a series of tweets, Cagy praised the NFT title, saying he is “genuinely impressed at how active and welcoming this community is.” According to Ape Reunion developers, the team is currently “building the game from scratch ground up.”
- Spike: Esports gamer Spike recently featured a number of interesting Web3 games. Titles that the Web3 content creator highlighted included fighting strategy game AI Arena, “epic gaming multiverse Dimensionals, and Ethereum-based MMORPG Uldor.
- Stache: In another edition of “Around the Metaverse,” Web3 gaming YouTuber Stache invited some special guests to talk about a variety of topics in the space. Fellow YouTubers Cagy and Luke Jech of Krill Gaming, joined XBorg’s content lead to share some insights. Projects covered in the livestream include Dookey Dash, Gala Games, and Guild of Guardians, among others.