The latest developments in Web3 brings optimism to a promising industry that is currently facing some tough challenges.
From Play-to-Earn (P2E) games to Decentralized Finance (DeFi), to entertainment and mental health, the blockchain’s capabilities are on full display as we enter a new week. Even governments around the world – from the Middle East to Europe and Russia – are starting to either integrate or call for the utilization of Web3 technology in their operations.
While established names such as Sony and Prada are making headlines in crypto space, blockchain-native projects such as 2B3D and Onomy are also writing their own history. Meanwhile, Web3 gamers, Non-Fungible Token (NFT) collectors, and metaverse aficionados are in for a treat with updates from Bored and Hungry, Floki Inu, Phantom Galaxies, Crabada, and Galaxy Fight Club, among others.
Here are the stories that shape the world of Web3 today.
- Japanese electronics/entertainment conglomerate Sony has acquired Beyond Sports, a sports-focused entity which describes itself as “an AI based data analysis and visualization company.” Sony will utilize Beyond Sports’ 3D imaging and animation capabilities to build a complete metaverse experience for sports fans (BTC).
- Italian luxury fashion brand Prada is slated to launch its 7th “Timecapsule” NFT collection on the 1st of December. The virtual collectibles will be available for 24 hours only. Basically, the limited collection consists of 50 NFTs that come with holiday-themed sweaters (CP).
- Shiba Inu-inspired cryptocurrency Floki Inu has released an 88-second trailer of its upcoming Viking-styled metaverse game Valhalla. In a statement, Floki Locker’s outreach specialist “Cobra Kai” gave an overview of what to expect in December. “Valhalla is a 3D metaverse NFT game that is being developed by the Floki team,” Kai explained. “It will allow players to play-and-earn once it’s on the mainnet” (BSCN).
- Web3 conference DCENTRAL Miami, is back for its second installment. The event will run from November 28-29 and will feature guest speakers and immersive experiences. Celebrities slated to appear at DCENTRAL include prolific music producer Timbaland, Grammy-winning R&B singer Miguel, and UFC Hall of Famer Michael Bisping, among others (YF).
- Startup Web3 game company Midnight emerged out of stealth mode to announce that it has raised $7.5 million in a seed funding round. Led by its CEO investment banker Steve Wade, Midnight plans to use the capital to build a studio and platform, and produce more Web3 titles (VB).
- Sci-fi third-person shooter game Phantom Galaxies is one of the titles nominated for “Best RPG” in Polkastarter’s 2022 GAME3 Awards. The award-giving body will announce the winners on the 15th of December. Basically, Phantom Galaxies is a Polygon-based project that combines elements of space simulation and Role-Playing Games (RPG) (TW).
- Metaverse simulation hunting game MetaShooter has announced the launch of its “winter event,” which will kick off on December 2. The event will feature game updates such as bug fixes, new NFT mechanics, and improved visuals, among others. Moreover, the team also announced the upcoming release of the project’s mobile version sometime in December (INV).
- Avalanche-based autobattler idle game Crabada kicked off the 22nd installment of its Weekly Arena Challenge. The tournament will run from November 28 – December 4. Competition updates include changes to Level Cap, Factional Revenge, Hidden opponent, and various rewards for Top-Ranked players (TW).
- Cross-IP PvP game “for the NFT universe” Galaxy Fight Club (GFC) made its presence felt at the Crypto Expo 2022 in Thailand. Gaming fans had the chance to try the game, and even join in mini tournaments to win prizes (TW).
- Newly established Web3 game dev studio Formation Games has appointed industry veterans to build a AAA football club ownership game called “CLUB.” The company’s bolstered personnel now includes Football Association CEO Alex Horne (Chair), Bungie General Manager Jonty Barnes (CEO), and Sports Interactive exec Neil Dejyothin (Executive Producer) (BW).
NFTs and Metaverse
- NFT restaurant group Food Fighters Universe (FFU) is bringing its “Bored and Hungry” pop-up store to the Philippine Blockchain Week 2022, which will run from November 28 – December 4. Basically, the concept restaurant adopted art from blue-chip NFT collection Bored Apes Yacht Club (BAYC) as its brand identity (CG).
- According to Beijing-based magazine Caijing, over 20 small to medium-sized NFT platforms in China are shutting down. Apparently, funding and interest has waned in the country due to the government’s strict rules against cryptocurrencies. In fact, Chinese-owned platforms refer to NFTs as “digital collectibles,” to avoid drawing the attention of authorities (TN).
- Dubai’s Crown Prince, Sheikh Hamdan bin Mohammad bin Rashid Al Maktoum, recently approved the Dubai Metaverse Strategy. The initiative aims to boost the city’s digital transformation and economic activity. Among its goals include creating a metaverse and nurturing emerging technologies (XRT).
- Open-world/social metaverse project SecondLive has launched an app for Android. According to the company, they are also slated to release an iOs version of the platform. Additionally, early adopters of the Android app were treated to a “2Live with friends” concert on November 27 using their phones (BSCN).
More From the Blockchain
- In a recent speech at the International AI Journey Conference in Moscow, Russian president Vladimir Putin called for the creation of a blockchain-based settlement network. “The technology of digital currencies and blockchains can be used to create a new system of international settlements that will be much more convenient, absolutely safe for its users,” Putin stated. He also stressed blockchain technology’s advantage of not having to depend on “banks or interference by third countries” (CT).
- The European Union (EU) has endorsed the Digital Decade policy initiative and is currently developing a formal blockchain infrastructure strategy. Meanwhile, the European Parliament has approved the “Digital Decade” policy program. Basically, the initiative aims to help businesses and government agencies digitize their operations (EW).
- 2B3D Studios, a company that utilizes metaverse and virtual reality (VR) technology to combat mental illness, has announced the opening of its online store. The store is part of a broader ecosystem that the company is building, and will support suicide prevention initiatives for military veterans. The 2B3D metaverse will offer P2E games, an NFT marketplace, and VR medical environments, among others (EIN).
- Layer-1 (L1) protocol Onomy has secured $10 million in a funding round, prior to its upcoming launch. Investors that pledged support for the Cosmos blockchain-based ecosystem includes Ava Labs, GSR, Bitfinex, Galileo, and Arcanum Capital. Basically, Onomy will serve as an interface between traditional foreign exchange (ForEX) markets and decentralized exchanges (DEXs) (ACT).
Stay up to Date
Subscribe to our newsletter: Web3 Gaming News and Research