Our Web3 news roundup for today will cover various projects that benefit from the capabilities of the blockchain. Entities from the field of art, entertainment, finance, hospitality, music, and technology, converge today in the space.
Today’s stories will cover a wide range of industry players from Google to Bamboozle, JP Morgan to Jonas Kauffman. Gamers are in for a treat as well with the latest developments in Web3 gaming, as we put the spotlight on projects such as Shrapnel, Alien Worlds, Insert Stonks, Jellyworks Gaming Guild, Digital Asset Entertainment, and League of Kingdoms, among others.
Let’s take a look at the headlines that shape Web3 today.
- According to recent reports, Google’s parent company Alphabet has invested a total of $1.506 billion on blockchain companies from September 2021 to June 2022. Web3-based firms that benefited from the tech giant’s funding also include Dapper Labs, Digital Currency Group, Fireblocks, and Voltage (WG).
- A Bored Ape Yacht Club (BAYC) Non-Fungible Token (NFT) sold today for 800 $ETH ($956,224) on the secondary market. Previously, an avid NFT collector who goes by the pseudonym “Keungz,” purchased the ape profile picture (PFP) from blockchain-based tech company Chain CEO Deepak Thapliyal (DC).
- NFT marketplace Nifter is set to launch at the upcoming annual Art Basel Miami Expo. The said event boasts the support of over 290 galleries and 88,000 attendees from the world of art, music, sports, and entertainment. Nifter will showcase various NFT projects including NBA memorabilia, works by renowned artists, and other trading card collections (BW).
- Bamboozle Festival’s 20th anniversary edition will utilize NTFs in place of traditional printed tickets. Fans can download the event’s B.A.M. Wallet app on their phones to acquire the tokens for entry. Bamboozle is a three-day music festival that is staging a comeback in May 2023. Next year’s festivities will feature artists such as Rick Ross, Steve Aoki, and Yung Gravy (APP).
- AAA action/shooter game Shrapnel recently shared a teaser of the project’s latest environment art. Staying true to its sci-fi themes, it featured a futuristic war room set in the fictional “New Kyoto District.” The team behind Shrapnel consists of BAFTA and Emmy-award winning industry veterans who have worked on popular game franchises such as Bioshock, Call of Duty, and Halo, to name a few (TW).
- Space trading card game Alien Worlds announced its first-ever “Battledome Tournament.” Participants will vie for a share of the 500,000 Trilium ($TLM) prize pool. 1st place will receive 200,000 $TLM, while 2nd place will get 100,000 $TLM. Players can click here to register (TW).
- Web3 gaming infrastructure builder Insert Stonks has secured PLN 2.5 million ($500,000) in a pre-seed round led by FunFair Ventures, a venture capital firm that invests in early-stage blockchain projects. Moreover, the team has said that they are aiming to become “one of the leading platforms” to offer game monetization in 2023 (MBD).
- Blockchain-focused tech infrastructure company Aquarius AI has released some updates on its recent acquisition of Jellyworks Gaming Guild. Basically, Jellyworks doubles as a Play-to-Earn (P2E) gaming guild that also runs a Bitcoin mining operation. “We were thrilled to join a team who shared the excitement of Jellyworks and the paradigm shift that Play-2-Earn gaming brings,” Jellyworks CEO Alex Lineton said (YF).
- Singapore-based Web3 entertainment company Digital Asset Entertainment has teamed up with Japanese electronic commerce and online retailing company Rakuten Group. “Our vision for DEA is to become the world’s top Web3 entertainment company,” DEA Co-Founder Kozo Yamada stated. The executive also said that the company’s agreement with Rakuten “will go a long way towards helping us work toward this goal by increasing adoption of Play-and-Earn gaming,” (e27).
- War strategy MMO game League of Kingdoms has formed a partnership with Web3 gaming-focused ID infrastructure builder Carv to celebrate the launch of a new game on the BNB Chain. Dubbed “CARVnival,” the new project offers tournaments, game nights, and AMA’s, as well as various perks and prizes (TW).
NFTs and Metaverse
- ApeCoin DAO, a decentralized autonomous organization (DAO) for ApeCoin holders, launched its white-label NFT marketplace. ApeCoin is the native currency of the blue-chip NFT collection Bored Ape Yacht Club’s (BAYC) metaverse. Furthermore, the portal will feature Yuga Labs NFTs including BAYC, Mutant Ape Yacht Club (MAYC), Bored Ape Kennel Club (BAKC), and Otherdeed for Otherside (CD).
- WISe.ART is slated to mint NFTs of German operatic tenor Jonas Kaufmann’s upcoming performance at the United Nations’ “One Humanity Concert.” The event will take place on the 10th of December at the ONUART Gala in Geneva, Switzerland. Basically, the NFT will feature an animated photograph by renowned French portrait photographer Thierry Bouet (YF).
- The AIR MILES Reward Program recently announced a new partnership with Tokens.com and Metaverse Group. According to reports, the project makes Air Miles the first brand-agnostic loyalty program in the metaverse. Tokens.com is a company that invests in Web3 assets, as well as businesses that utilize blockchain technology (BW).
- Digital asset custodian Aegis Trust announced that it is offering an insurance policy for NFTs. Insurance marketplace Lloyd’s of London will provide the policy, which will allow Aegis to insure up to $25 million for tokenized assets. However, this will only cover NFTs held by institutional investors, hedge funds, and exchanges (CD).
- British-owned hospitality InterContinental Hotels Group (marketed as IHG Hotels & Resorts) has announced the launch of an exclusive NFT collection. The project will feature 10 of multidisciplinary artist Claire Luxton’s works. Additionally, the digital assets also come with various utilities and benefits for its holders (TA).
More From the Blockchain
- Proof-of-Stake blockchain Casper recently announced the launch of its new Casper Accelerate Grant Program. The initiative was created to support developers and innovators in their app-building ventures. Basically, the project will support infrastructure, end-user applications, and research innovation on Casper’s own ecosystem (CT).
- DBS, Singapore’s largest bank by market cap, is now the first Asian bank to use JPMorgan’s (JPM) digital asset trading network Onyx. The milestone was achieved after DBS completed a fixed income trade on the Onyx Digital Assets Network. Other established global banking firms utilizing the protocol also include Goldman Sachs and BNP Paribas (CD).
- Crypto investment firm Foresight Ventures (FV) is launching its incubator program “Foresight X.” Basically, the program will allocate $10 million to three varying types of Web3 funding and collaborations. According to FV general partner Tony Cheng, the company supports projects that “offer solutions to help scale” the crypto industry for mainstream adoption (CD).
Stay up to Date
Subscribe to our newsletter: Web3 Gaming News and Research