Today’s Web3 news roundup features established names such as Nike, Adidas, Sony, Manchester United, and Nas Daily stirring up the space with their latest endeavors. The recent undertakings in the space underscores the benefits that blockchain technology could offer to various industries and communities.
Furthermore, Web3-native entities such as Yuga Labs, WENEW, Bored Ape Yacht Club, Joepegs, z-emotion, Lambda256, CYPHRLY, Polkastarter Gaming, and VRJAM, among others, continue to push the boundaries with their initiatives as well. Additionally, gamers will also be delighted by updates from titles such as Pulsar, Xpansion, and Ultimate Champions, etc.
The market may be experiencing a lot of difficulties due to the collapse of FTX. However, unlike the bankrupt crypto exchange, some of the best Web3 projects will definitely recover from the recent catastrophe and live to see better days.
Let’s take a look at the recent developments in the nascent world of Web3.
- Sports apparel giant Nike shakes up the space with the launch of .Swoosh, a Web3 platform that offers virtual gear and other Non-Fungible Token (NFT) products. Dropping in January 2023, the portal’s NFTs will be minted on the Polygon blockchain (DC).
- Bored Ape Yacht Club (BAYC) creator Yuga Labs has acquired WENEW and its flagship collection 10KTF. WENEW is an NFT platform owned by record-setting digital artist Beeple. To date, the NFT powerhouse has collaborated with the likes of Gucci, Louis Vitton, Playboy, and Wimbledon (BW).
- German sportswear juggernaut adds more fuel to the World Cup fire with its latest promo trailer. The video featured the company’s BAYC character Indigo Herz printed on a box of fictional “Indigoooooals” cereals, with narration and appearance by British rap legend Stormzy (DC).
- The new patent that PlayStation’s parent company Sony Interactive Entertainment recently filed, points to hints of the conglomerate’s interest in NFTs and Web3 technology. Although Sony did not mention anything specific, the description referred to “techniques and technologies” that expand the “functionalities of digital assets associated with video games” (GS).
- Web3 infrastructure protocol Saga and mobile game company Com2uS Studios (makers of Summoners War, GolfStar) announced a partnership that will provide blockchain gaming platform XPLA with scalable infrastructure. The project will make use of the Saga protocol, which allows builders to develop games and other entertainment apps with their own blockspace, or “Chainlets” (INN).
- Web3 gaming awards event “Gam3 Awards” is slated to kick off its inaugural launch on December 15. Hosted by blockchain gaming platform Polkastarter Gaming, the event will highlight projects in 16 categories, feature over 30 industry leaders. Additionally, the team will give away $300,000 worth of prizes to the winners (CT).
- Immutable co-founder and CEO Robbie Ferguson clarified that the company had no funds in collapsed crypto exchange FTX. He also ensured that the project has enough cash to run for more than 3 years. Immutable is the parent company of emerging ecosystem Immutable X, and the developer behind games such as Gods Unchained and Guild of Guardians (SN).
- Binance Labs, the venture capital arm and accelerator of Binance, has invested $4 million in fantasy sports platform Ultimate Champions. The project has also partnered with top-tier European basketball league EuroLeague (B).
- Space-themed action/adventure game Xpansion is holding an “Xpansion Upgrade Discount Event” from November 17-December 1. The project’s 40% discount will cover upgrade costs for both XPS and resources (TW).
- Step App, a development protocol for Fitness Finance (FitFi) projects, will soon release its launchpad Step Launch. The first title on the Web3 ecosystem is a Move-to-Earn project called “Primal.” Registration for the game will remain open until November 24 (TW).
- Citing unfavorable market conditions, upcoming MMO/RTS game Pulsar recently announced the postponement of its launch on mainnet. However, the team assured supporters that the game will still launch on-chain on November 15. Additionally, testnet access will be available on November 30 (TW).
NFTs and Metaverse
- Popular football club Manchester United launched its first-ever NFT collection on the Tezos blockchain. The team will release the first wave of digital collectibles as gifts to loyal fans. The succeeding batch will be sold later on, with 20% of the proceeds allotted for the Manchester United Foundation (MU).
- Live metaverse entertainment platform VRJAM announced a partnership with blockchain ecosystem Polygon, to build a new immersive virtual project called “Planet Polygon.” Also slated for launch on November 30 is VRJAM’s native currency VRJAM Coin. Holders can use the token within Planet Polygon, as well as other VRJAM destinations (CS).
- NFT marketplace Joepegs raised $5 million in a seed round led by the Avalanche Foundation and embattled crypto exchange FTX. The capital raise was completed in June, allowing the company to transfer the funds before problems plagued the platform (TC).
- 3D fashion design platform z-emotion has partnered with Blockchain-as-a-Service (BaaS) platform Lambda256. The project will launch on Lambda’s NFT marketplace CYPHRLY, a Ghost Soul Society-inspired digital fashion NFT collection (PRN).
- Market research and advisory company Technavio recently released a report on the fashion market in the metaverse. According to the firm, the niche has the potential to grow up to $6.61 billion in 2026. Factors that could push this development include the entry of established fashion brands, as well as the increasing usage of NFTs, cryptocurrencies, and other related technologies (PRN).
More From the Blockchain
- According to reports by crypto intelligence provider Arkham Intelligence, FTX’s hacker still holds $339 million worth of cryptocurrencies. Arkham’s investigations revealed that the attackers panicked and lost a huge amount of tokens while attempting to transfer assets (CD).
- Bizi Labs, a Swiss mobile platform that uses Web3 technology, announced plans to integrate Ethereum Layer-2 (L2) solution Polygon into smartphone brand and partner ZMBIZI. The project features the world’s smartphone that offers built-in Web3 features, user rewards, and multi-chain capabilities (AI).
- Arab-Israeli vlogger Nuseir Yassin, aka “Nas Daily,” is one of the international figures who will grace the Philippine Web3 Festival. The week-long event will focus on Web3 games, Esports, NFTs, and cryptocurrencies, among others (GMA).
- Blockchain-based brand engagement platform Kalder announced that it has secured $3 million in its pre-seed round. The company will use the capital to build a new generation of Web3 marketing tools (BW).
Stay up to Date
Subscribe to our newsletter: Web3 Gaming News and Research