While some cryptocurrencies are bleeding, Web3 gaming keeps on pumping some fresh blood into the space. The FTX fiasco has caused panic in the markets, but that can’t stop developers from building projects.
From established intellectual properties (IP) such as Tomy’s Zoids, to upcoming titles such as Legends of Bezogia, the young industry is continually nurturing games. In fact, it would be actually hard to imagine that five years ago, these projects didn’t exist on the blockchain yet. Currently, there are around 2,000 gaming projects in Web3.
Today’s news roundup will cover a host of emerging entities and platforms including Act Games, Archipelago Labs, Banger Games, Bora Network, Cassava Network, Color Network, Dokoverse, Roshambo, Zilliqa, and Z Spot, to name a few. Moreover, established companies such as ARK Invest, Binance, Coinbase, Oracle, and Professional Fighters League, also had their share of the spotlight.
From Play-to-Earn to Sing-to-Earn, the developers of Web3 and their throng of supporters continue to brave the strongest blockchain storms of 2022. Let’s take a look at the stories that shape the space today.
- Trading card game Zoids Wild NFT Arena has launched its “Frontier Test” beta test that will run from November 10-23. Presented by blockchain game publisher Z Spot and developed by game studio Act Games, the project is based on entertainment and toy company Tomy’s line of biomechanical animals called Zoids (CT).
- SocialFi/GameFi entertainment app Roshambo is set to hold its “BSC Version Launch,” which will see the project accommodate the Binance Smart Chain (BSC). Basically, the P2E platform offers a host of features along with games, events, tournaments, and Non-Fungible Tokens (NFTs) (GNW).
- Blockchain infrastructure network Cassava Network and mobile gaming company Play1st has launched a new Esports gaming league in Africa. The project will kick off with a tournament from November 18-26, and also features Multiplayer Online Battle Arena (MOBA) game Thetan Arena (DP).
- In a move that will benefit game creators, gaming technology lab Homa announced that it is adding new Web3 tools to its suite. This will allow game builders to maximize their creativity and produce their material more efficiently (PG).
- Entertainment and technology company Color Star has formed a strategic partnership with Banger Games, a Web3 gaming platform for existing Web2 games. The collaboration will focus on metaverse game development, digital copyrights, and other related technologies (YF).
- Blockchain technology company Bora Network announced the launch of its $30 million BORA Ecosystem Fund with investment firm Widus Partners. The company plans to utilize the strategic investment fund to develop Web3 gaming solutions (PRNW).
- Upcoming collectible MMORPG project Legends of Bezogia recently launched its “Mega Giveaway” campaign, which will run from November 9-15. The adventure game will give away 100 billion $BEZOGE tokens to the lucky winners (TW).
Around the Blockchain
- Investment management firm ARK Invest’s CEO Cathie Wood has increased her stake in cryptocurrency exchange Coinbase. The prominent stock-picker’s company bought an additional 237,675 Coinbase shares after prices fell by 10.8% earlier this week (BIC).
- According to reports, billionaire Sam Bankman-Fried’s struggling crypto exchange FTX has resumed withdrawals. Recent data reveals that large transactions spanning a variety of tokens are leaving the platform’s hot wallet (CT).
- FTX’s collapse has affected legions of crypto users, as well as superstar athletes who have stakes in the company. Some of the platform’s ambassadors include famous sports personalities such Naomi Osaka, Steph Curry, and Tom Brady (BIC)
- Computer technology giant Oracle Corp has announced its hiring of Stuart Levey as its new legal chief. Levey is the former CEO of social media conglomerate Meta Platform’s blockchain project Diem (formerly known as Libra) (WSJ).
- Zilliqa blockchain developers Zilliqa Research announced its native token $ZIL’s listing on Japan’s popular crypto exchange OKCOinJapan. “Today’s announcement marks a major step in the expansion of the Zilliqa ecosystem all over the globe,” Zilliqa CEO MattDyer stated (PRN).
- Philippine market-focused Web3 startup accelerator Archipelago Labs (A-Labs) has officially launched to help nurture projects and talents in the country. The project also received backing from the Philippine Digital Asset Exchange (PDAX), Oak Drive Ventures Inc., and Magellan Digital Investment Group (MDIG) (MB).
Metaverse and NFTs
- Singer/songwriter Luna Aura, has filed a lawsuit against electronic dance music producer 3LAU. She claims that the superstar DJ did not compensate her enough for her participation in the song “Walk Away.” Apparently, the single amassed $11 million in NFT sales alone and the singer wants a slice of the pie (RS).
- Miami is planning to launch 5,000 NFTs featuring 56 of the city’s local artists. In late July, the city’s commissioners approved plans to roll out NFTs in partnership with TIME Magazine, Mastercard, and Salesforce (FP).
- Globe Telecom, one of the major telecommunications providers in the Philippines, has announced that the company will offer various masterclasses in its own Virtual Hangouts (VH) Metaverse. Topics that the workshops will focus on include music, Esports, fashion, films, and entrepreneurship (CG).
- Mixed martial arts (MMA) organization the Professional Fighters League (PFL) announced a partnership with SportsIcon, an NFT platform dedicated to athletes and collectors. Basically, the collaboration aims to build the PFL MMA Metaverse, which will offer immersive Web3 experiences for the fans (SVG)
- NFT company ZOLiDnetwork is slated to launch the very first “Hyper Vinyl,” a music NFT with gameplay stats and impact. Scheduled for release on November 18, the project will be usable in the Wax blockchain-based game “Nifty Kicks Factory.” Additionally, the team has plans of expanding Hyper Vinyl to other games and ecosystems (GL).
- K-Pop Sing-to-Earn project Dokoverse has announced the upcoming minting of its NFT line this month. “I think that a Kpop singer will be born among our NFT holders,” Dokoverse Co-Founder and Project Leader YongJi Kim stated (GNW).
- Aavegotchi: Aavegotchi is a collectible NFT game on the Ethereum blockchain. Employing elements of Decentralized Finance (DeFi), the project allows players to buy, trade, and collect ghost avatars known as “Aavegotchis.”
- Aether World: Built on the Binance Smart Chain, Aether World combines idle, shooter, and Role-Playing Game genres. The game features characters called “Aethers” that players must awaken, level up, and form a team for battles.
- Block Ape Scissors: Turn-based NFT card game Block Ape Scissors is a game set in a fictional metaverse. Drawing inspiration from rock-paper-scissors, the game allows players to engage in PvP battles, climb up leaderboards, and earn token rewards.
- Goons of Balatroon: Collectible card game Goons of Balatroon is a hybrid metaverse project that combines trading card strategies and virtual land ownership. Basically, the project involves goons fighting against each other to gain $GOB token rewards.
- My Crypto Heroes: My Crypto Heroes is among the projects powered by Ethereum and its Layer-2 (L2) solution Immutable X. Offering PvP modes and RPG elements, the game allows players to train their heroes and send them to the dungeons to face monsters.
Stay up to Date
Subscribe to our newsletter: Web3 Gaming News and Research