Today’s Web3 digest features gaming, entertainment, finance, e-commerce, art, and fashion entities converging on the blockchain.
Brands such as Square Enix, Samsung, FIDE, FEC, HSBC, Alibaba, Fidelity, and Kraken, recently made some significant moves on Web3. Meanwhile, Non-Fungible Tokens (NFTs) are also enjoying the spotlight as of late, thanks to names such as Nike, Adidas, Gucci, Tiffany’s, Lacoste, Dolce & Gabbana, DeGods, and Y00ts.
Last but not least, Web3 gaming continues revitalizing the space with notable developments from titles such as Gods Unchained, Undead Blocks, ExoWorlds, Angelic, Cards of Ethernity, and Crabada.
Here are the stories that shape Web3.
- Japanese gaming conglomerate Square Enix invested 7 billion yen ($52.7 million) into game dev company Gumi to support its initiatives. According to a press release, this will allow Gumi to utilize certain intellectual property from Square Enix. The announcement also teased the launch of a Web3 gaming-dedicated NFT marketplace (CT).
- Korean electronics giant Samsung revealed that it is investing $35 million in metaverse initiatives dedicated to Latin American users. Essentially, the company is targeting Gen Z and Gen Alpha age groups, since they are more familiar with emerging platforms (BTC).
- Avalanche-powered Web3 command center Core is one of the sponsors for the International Chess Federation (FIDE)’s 2022 World Rapid & Blitz Championship. Taking place in Almaty, Kazakhstan, the tournament will run from December 25-30. For this partnership FIDE (aka the World Chess Federation) will utilize Core Wallet as the organization’s official crypto wallet (TW).
- The United States election agency, the Federal Election Commission (FEC), has approved DataVault Holdings’ use of NFTs for fundraising drives. The FEC stated that the cloud-based technology company would receive “reasonable compensation” for each NFT issued to contributors. Additionally, the entity will be able to track all tokens issued for record-keeping purposes (CT).
- Banking and financial services institution HSBC filed two crypto-related trademark applications, indicating the company’s plans for digital products and services. Furthermore, the filings also mentioned several virtual world-related offerings such as “facilitating secure payment transactions by electronic means in the metaverse.” Other features mentioned include virtual versions of credit, debit, and prepaid cards, among others (BTC).
- The collectible card game Gods Unchained will continue giving out Holiday Rewards until the 1st of January 2023. Players are tasked to complete ten daily Play-and-Earn challenges. Basically, the Immutable X-built strategy game will reward 1,000 winning participants with WW Booster Packs (TW).
- Ethereum-based shooter game Undead Blocks announced that its Duos multiplayer beta mode will go live and fully open to the public on December 31, 2022. The team at Web3 gaming company Wagyu Games encouraged participants to “tag a friend that you want to squad up with and slay some zombies” (TW).
- Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game (RPG) ExoWorlds announced several updates to the project. Among the latest developments include introducing a profile page and marketplace features, such as the capability to reveal if a planet contains airdrops, among others (TW).
- Strategy RPG title Angelic has announced a live pre-alpha gameplay session on the 29th of December via the game’s official Discord server. The stream will feature Angelic game director and founder Erkan Bayol. Moreover, the session will focus on the title’s multiplayer component, “Angelic Arena” (TW).
- Web3 game development studio Aether Games has announced that the latest updates for its collectible card game Cards of Ethernity are live. Essentially, “patch 0.25.23” introduced a slew of changes to the project. This includes new adventurers and effects and additional cards, and balance changes, among others (TW).
- Auto battler idle NFT game Crabada has introduced the 26th installment of its Weekly Arena Challenge. This week’s tournament will grant participants a maximum level of 100. Other tweaks to the competition cover Factional Advantage, Synergy Boost, Arena TIckets, and Rewards, among others (M).
- Solana-based NFT collections, DeGods, and Y00ts, have recently confirmed that both projects will leave the ecosystem in early 2023. Basically, DeGods will bridge to Ethereum, while Y00ts will move to Polygon. The two NFT titles are among the most popular projects on Solana. In fact, both collectibles made up almost 70% of Solana’s NFT trade volume prior to the migration announcement (CD).
- Cryptocurrency exchange Kraken recently opened the beta version of its NFT marketplace to the public. The platform launched with an inaugural set of over 110 well-known NFT collections, such as Azuki, Bored Ape Yacht Club, and CryptoPunks. “Kraken has always championed free and diverse expression,” co-founder and chief executive Jesse Powell stated (SA).
- According to a study, big brands such as Nike, Adidas, Gucci, Tiffany’s, Lacoste, and Dolce & Gabbana have collectively earned over $245 million in NFT sales, since they entered the metaverse. Sports apparel giant Nike leads the pack with NFT sales of $185 million. The clothing brand entered the space with its 2021 acquisition of Web3-based brand RTFKT and its avatar NFT collection CloneX (FU).
Across the Metaverse
- Financial services corporation Fidelity Investment recently filed trademark applications for several Web3 products and services. The host of projects include an NFT marketplace, virtual real estate investing services, as well as financial investment and crypto trading platforms in the metaverse. Fidelity also detailed the possibility of offering educational services in the virtual world through “classes, workshops, seminars, and conferences” (CT).
- Technology company Alibaba’s e-commerce platform Taobao is preparing for the launch of its metaverse live-streaming channel. The team plans to kick things off at the upcoming New Year’s shopping festival. The project continues Taobao’s virtual world initiatives, such as TaoLive City. The metaverse city is a joint effort with Alibaba-owned live-streaming e-commerce app Diantao (PD).
- Franklin, Indiana-based platform The Yard GG has announced the release of its new product bundle. The offering provides tools and services for enabling peer-to-peer (P2P) activities in the metaverse economy. The package includes P2P wagering platform STAKE, gaming-focused streaming app GoPixls, and community-building Web3 game tournament platform The Yard (EIN).
Around the Blockchain
- In a recent appearance on HBO political commentator Bill Maher’s Club Random podcast, billionaire entrepreneur Mark Cuban stated that he remains bullish on pioneering cryptocurrency Bitcoin ($BTC). The Dallas Mavericks owner also added that he wanted “Bitcoin to go down a lot further” so he could keep on accumulating the digital asset (DC).
- Touted as India’s first app store for Web3 apps, Dapps has announced that it has raised an undisclosed amount from a pre-seed funding round. The fundraiser includes individuals from projects such as Shardeum, Polygon, Derived, and EasyFi. Essentially, Dapps is built by the team behind the multi-token reward staking protocol UniFarm (IW).
- Just in time for the Holiday Season, Santa Browser has announced the launch of its Web3 browser. Employing a “Browse-to-Earn” model, the platform allows users to earn crypto rewards through their online activities. Furthermore, Santa Browser boasts a host of privacy tools, as well as military-grade security (CNF).
Web3 Content Creators
- Brycent: Web3 gaming content creator Brycent recently shared his views on what gamers usually look for in a title. Believing that “gamers don’t care what blockchain a game is built on,” the vocal influencer pointed out that “gamers care about low friction and great gameplay.”
- Cagy: Crypto gamer and YouTuber Cagy just brought his vlogging skills to Punta Cana, a beautiful region in the easternmost tip of the Dominican Republic. The Web3 gaming expert’s most recent uploads also featured several destinations in the Caribbean nation, including Macao Beach and Playa Esmeralda, among others.
- Jonny: Jonny aka Hustle revealed on live streaming channel Crypto Banter, some of the Web3 gaming tokens which he believes could “explode” in 2023. Some of the projects included in Hustle’s watchlist are Gala Games, Mobland, Phantasm, Polkacity, and Wilder World, among others.
- Spike: Web3 content creator and Esports player Spike teased a “mysterious” project on Twitter. Apparently, the crypto gaming influencer touted the game as the “Web3 Mobile RPG Game of The Year.” Furthermore, Spike also announced that the “first 1,000 people to sign up in “Spike Squad” will get early access. While no title was revealed, followers believe the project to be Yeeha Games’ fantasy MMORPG Oath of Peek.