Welcome to P2E Analytics’ daily Web3 Gaming Digest where we cover some of the most significant stories in the world of blockchain.
Today’s roundup features several big names making moves in the space. Entities such as NYX Professional Makeup, Toms, Wabi Sabi Sound, Warner Bros., World Tennis League, and Yuga Labs, continue to showcase the power of Web3 technology.
Furthermore, prominent figures such as Activision Blizzard’s Daniel Alegre, Laker great Shaquille O’Neal, rapper Latasha, and 3D artist Andre Oshea, are also making some noise on the blockchain as of late.
Last but not the least, Web3 gaming is also making a lot of progress with various updates and offerings. Projects that deserve the spotlight today include Alien Worlds, CheersLand, Illuvium, The Legend of Aurum Draconis, TradeStars, and Undeads Metaverse, among others.
Here are the stories that shape Web3.
- Video game company Activision Blizzard’s former president and COO Daniel Alegre is now the new CEO of blue-chip NFT collection Bored Ape Yacht Club creator Yuga Labs. News of the hiring came 72 hours after it was announced that Alegre was leaving the gaming giant. During his stint with Activision Blizzard, the industry veteran played a vital role in developing titles such as Call of Duty, World of Warcraft, Diablo, and Candy Crush, among others (DC).
- Upcoming Web3 game Undeads Metaverse has teamed up with Wabi Sabi Sound and Warner Bros. As a result, the Wabi Sabi team will oversee the audio direction and production for the role-playing survival game. The award-winning sound design team has worked with companies such as Activision Blizzard, PlayStation and Microsoft Studios. Moreover, they are also best-known for working on titles such as Bioshock, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, and Left 4 Dead 2, to name a few (CT).
- NBA superstar Shaquille O’Neal is slated to host a one-hour special for social media conglomerate Meta’s platforms on December 31. Dubbed “The Shaq-tacular Spectacular,” the New Year’s eve special will feature performances by Cardi B, Ludacris, Lil Yachty, and DJ Diesel (Shaq’s DJ moniker), among others. The recorded event will stream in virtual reality game Meta Horizon Worlds and Meta Quest TV on VR headset Meta Quest 2 (V).
- Grammy-nominated digital artist Andre Oshea has teamed up with rapper Latasha, along with visual artists Jah (aka Art by Jah) and Angel Darmella. Subsequently, the partnership will launch a 100-edition digital collectible project on Meta Platform’s photo and video service Instagram. Powered by the Polygon blockchain, the collection makes Latasha the first musician to ever mint an NFT on the social media networking platform (TW).
- 2022 GAM3 Awards’ Best RPG Game Illuvium announced a new art collection to celebrate the upcoming Holiday Season “Illuvium style.” The new offering features six unique Illuvium Christmas Cards that fans of the game can “download, print, and send to friends & family.” Players can click here to obtain the artworks for free (TW).
- Web3 game company Dragon Crypto Gaming has closed the application for fantasy Role-Playing Game (RPG) The Legend of Aurum Draconis’ all-access demo. The project successfully gathered 100 entrants. Moreover, the participants will receive DCG Hero NFTs on the Avalanche Fuji Testnet (DCG).
- Adventure strategy game Medieval Empires’ native token $MEE is now live on spot trading platform ByBit. From December 19-24, users can start trading the token and get the chance to receive a share of the 900,000 $MEE prize pool. Additionally, participants can also stake to obtain a portion of 1,000,000 $MEE in Bybit Fixed Savings (TW).
- Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game (MMORPG) Nine Chronicles has announced some updates for its official currency Nine Chronicles Gold ($NCG). In a Twitter post, the team stated that the token will offer a “completely reimagined experience for Mobile gamers.” Furthermore, $NCG is now ready for multichain expansion, along with its revamped tokenomics, new burn mechanics, and ecosystem funding (TW).
- Space-themed card game Alien Worlds recently released some “player experience improvements” on the project as part of its Release 0.7.2. The team has resolved two minor issues. This includes the addition of the mining reward notification on the top bar, and a fixed claim button label text for landowner commission (TW).
- Footwear brand Toms has launched a limited edition NFT collection that features the pivotal moments in the company’s history. Available on leading NFT marketplace OpenSea, the project’s proceeds will be donated to its nonprofit partner International Medical Corps. Basically, the humanitarian aid organization provides services to disaster, disease or conflict-affected people (FU).
- NFT platform Revel has raised $7.8 million in a seed funding round led by Dragonfly Capital. Described as a “social collectibles” platform, Revel combines facets of social media service Instagram and investing/trading app Robinhood. To sum up, Revel’s marketplace allows creators to mint NFTs that their followers can own and collect (TC).
- Newly established tennis exhibition tournament the World Tennis League (WTL) has partnered with Dubai-based sports fan engagement platform EX-Sports to launch an NFT collection. The project will consist of 1,000 NFTs of each of the 18 athletes slated to compete at WTL’s inaugural tournament, which will run from December 19-24 at the Coca-Cola Arena in Dubai. Tennis stars who will grace the court include Iga Świątek, Novak Djokovic, and Caroline Garcia, to name a few (GB).
- Decentralized Autonomous Organization (DAO)-based NFT marketplace Wafini has announced the demo launch of its platform on the Cardano blockchain. The team will use this version in preparation for the beta launch on mainnet in early 2023. In addition, the Wafini’s seed sale is also ongoing. Early adopters who acquired over 100,000 $WFI in a one-time purchase, will receive a Wafini Genesis Passport NFT (AMBC).
Across the Metaverse
- Personal care brand L’Oreal’s subsidiary NYX Professional Makeup has announced their latest project in the metaverse. The cosmetic company recently unveiled plans to launch its Spring 2023 Drop on iHeartLand, an immersive virtual space on game platform Roblox. Dubbed the “House of NYX Professional Makeup” the offering is set to kick off on December 19 (PRN).
- Vancouver-based Web3 platform Looking Glass Labs has signed an agreement with metaverse building solution provider Cavrnus. The partnership aims to develop metaverse experiences for consumer brands. Furthermore, the team-up will also expand LGL’s hyper-realistic metaverse Pocket Dimension to deliver user-friendly tools for creating virtual worlds (YF).
- The Chinese coastal province of Zhejiang recently unveiled plans to build the biggest metaverse hub in the country. Included in its initiatives are the incubation of 10 industry leaders, along with 50 companies that are focused on developing related technologies such as artificial intelligence (AI) and virtual reality (VR), among others. With this in mind, the province’s ultimate ambition is to create a $28.7 billion metaverse industry by 2025 (BTC).
- Map-based XR metaverse Mapstar has added new features for its users. In a bid to enhance the experience of shopping mall visitors, the platform now offers virtual reality (VR) capability, as well as augmented reality (AR) on-site editing and XR-layer. “This is just the beginning of building a beneficial augmented reality world,” Mapstar founder and CEO Shora Shirzad stated (AW).
- CheersLand: Cheersland is a GameFi metaverse aggregator that allows users to monetize their gaming experiences and social networks. Built on Binance Smart Chain, the project also serves as an NFT market and a multi-asset staking platform, among others.
- Rise of Elves: Polygon blockchain-based P2E game Rise of Elves is a virtual world where players can collect NFTs of Elves. Owners can use these fierce creatures to battle other participants, join events, and win in-game rewards.
- TradeStars: Based on the Ethereum network, TradeStars is a fantasy sports game that allows users to trade “Fantasy Stocks.” In essence, the stocks are NFTs that represent the real-life performances of popular athletes.
- VikingsChain: Collectible Web3 action game VikingsChain allows players to create hero avatars, which they can use to compete in arena tournaments to win rewards. Users can also train the NFT characters, as well as upgrade them with armors and weapons.
- Wrestling Organisation Online: Wrestling Organisation Online (WOO) is a sports business management game that employs P2E and battle royale elements. Built on the Hive blockchain, the NFT-based project allows players to build their own wrestling organization. Moreover, WOO also offers the option to handle wrestlers, venues, competitions, and promotions.
Stay up to Date
Subscribe to our newsletter: Web3 Gaming News and Research