Today’s Web3 Gaming Digest showcases the power of Non-Fungible Tokens (NFTs) and blockchain technology in general.
The capabilities of Web3 is on full display in the field of games, art, film, music, fashion, finance, and sports. Most importantly, the blockchain has also proven to be a reliable instrument for humanitarian causes.
Moreover, some of the most well-known brands continue to avail of Web3’s offerings. Names such as Alibaba, D&G, DraftKings, PayPal, Time, and Warner Music Group, all made headlines in the space today.
Meanwhile, Web3 games also made some significant moves in the past couple of days. Some of the titles that deserve the spotlight today include Big Time, Gods Unchained, Karmaverse, League of Kingdoms, Planet Mojo, Shrapnel, The Sandbox, and Wyndblast, to name a few.
Here are the stories that shape the world of Web3.
- Italian luxury fashion brand Dolce & Gabbana has formed a partnership with Justin Beiber-endorsed NFT collection inBetweeners. The team-up is launching a ‘drip’ collection on leading digital collectibles marketplace OpenSea. Essentially, the project consists of 2,000 digital bear NFTs designed by Italian artist GianPiero D’Allesandro (LI).
- The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) has launched a Web3-based solution that will help in distributing funds to war-afflicted Ukrainians. For the project, the humanitarian agency chose Stellar protocol and its non-custodial mobile digital wallet Vibrant. The platform will serve as a secure way for sending cash to citizens affected by the Russian invasion (DC).
- Alibaba Cloud, a subsidiary of technology giant Alibaba, unveiled plans for its first Blockchain Node Service. The cloud computing company’s goal is to release the new feature during the first quarter of 2023. In essence, the latest offering will support the growth of the Web3 ecosystem, while providing builders with a reliable and user-friendly infrastructure (MB).
- Entertainment and record label conglomerate the Warner Music Group (WMG) has formed a partnership with digital clothing retailer DRESSX. The entities are building a platform for select WMG artists that will allow them to design their own virtual fashion lines. Utilizing 3D and augmented reality (AR) technologies, the digital pieces are usable across platforms such as Instagram and Snapchat (PRN).
- TIME Magazine’s Web3 community initiative TIMEPieces has partnered with new age personality Deepak Chopra’s blockchain-based platform Seva.Love for the release of a new NFT collection. Dubbed “TIMEPieces x Deepak Chopra: The Seven Collection,” the project features 73 artists. Each of the creators will present unique book cover designs for Chopra’s best-selling book “The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success” (T).
- The recently concluded GAM3 Awards has announced the winning Web3 game titles across 16 categories. Ethereum-based adventure RPG project Big Time bagged the Game of the Year award, while Avalanche-built shooter game Shrapnel won the Most Anticipated Game honors. Other winning titles include Illuvium, Gods Unchained, League of Kingdoms, Star Atlas, and Thetan Arena, among others (PS).
- Popular virtual world The Sandbox has formed a partnership with global marketing communications agency Wunderman Thompson. The project aims to onboard Wunderman’s clients to Web3. According to the team-up, the latest development will also empower communities and “supercharge” user engagement with immersive experiences (TW).
- Gaming metaverse Planet Mojo has announced its third “Mojo Melee” Alpha Playtest weekend. The in-game event will run from December 16-18. To enter the playtest, participants are required to go to the game’s Discord server and head to the announcements channel. Basically, Mojo Melee is an auto-chess battler, and the first game within the Planet Mojo metaverse (TW).
- Survival metaverse game Karmaverse has teamed up with Play-to-Earn (P2E) game Soul Reborn. Essentially, Soul Reborn brings together elements of Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game (MMORPG) and decentralized finance (DeFi), while leveraging the power of NFTs. Furthermore, the project’s concepts originated from South Korean online game Soul Walker (TW).
- Auto-battler NFT game Wyndblast’s official release is now available on Android, Windows, and MacOS. Additionally, players can also play the game on the web. Built on the Avalanche blockchain, the project requires players to obtain NFTs of Riders and Wynds (dragons), which they can use to engage in battles (TW).
- Web3 gaming platform Forte recently formed a partnership with startup venture studio SuperLayer. The collaboration will allow SuperLayer to utilize Forte as its crypto payment and liquidity services provider for projects. On the other hand, Forte can use SuperLayer’s infrastructure support to expand its verticals (CD).
- Former US president Donald Trump has launched an NFT collection of trading cards featuring him as an astronaut, a Nascar driver, and even a superhero, among others. Consequently, the NFTs were heavily mocked even by Trumps’ allies, which included former Trump chief strategist Steve Bannon. Apparently, the right-wing media commentator believes that individuals behind the NFT project “ought to be fired today” (BBC).
- Gala Games’ Web3-focused TV and Film production company Gala Film has announced a limited NFT drop for Ghosts of Ruin. The futuristic dystopian-themed animation title features Emmy Award-winning writer Michael Ryan as co-creator. The prolific producer is best-known for his works with entertainment companies such as Disney, Dreamworks, Marvel, Nickelodeon, and Warner Bros, among others (TW).
- Sports betting platform DraftKings has formed a partnership with the National Football League Players Association (NFLPA), and intellectual property (IP) development company Pixel Vault to launch a new NFT card collection. Released in time for week 15 of fantasy game “Reignmakers Football,” the project features superhero themes for several football superstars. Using the NFTs, players are allowed to participate in Pixel Vault-themed contests and get the chance to win $100,000 in prizes (LU).
- Solana-based NFT marketplace Magic Eden recently announced the expansion of its launchpad and marketplace. The platform now supports Polygon NFT minting and trading. As part of the integration, Magic Eden will also roll out upcoming Web3 action/RPG Shatterpoint. Secondly, the marketplace will also release Infinite Drive, a mobile NFT racing platform where players can collect cars from prestigious brands such as Aston Martin, Renault, and Alpine, among others (PRN).
- Animoca Brands has unveiled its new profile picture (PFP) NFT collection Mocaverse. The collection consists of 8,888 NFTs of characters called “Mocas.” Basically, Mocas are divided into five tribes namely: Dreamers, Builders, Angels, Connectors, and Neo-Capitalists. Furthermore, the company will offer the NFT project to its partners, projects, and investments, starting in Q1 of 2023 (NFTG).
Around the Blockchain
- Payment platform PayPal has announced its integration with Web3 wallet MetaMask for Ethereum transactions. Apparently, the new feature allows users to buy and transfer Ether ($ETH) via MetaMask, before logging in to PayPal to make a purchase. Given that, the system is very similar to the platform’s checkout feature on online stores such as Etsy and eBay (F).
- Open metaverse engine Futureverse announced the merging of eight Web3 companies to form a new virtual ecosystem. The initiative aims to improve experiences in the space. Companies that joined the rollup include Altered State Machine, Non-Fungible Labs, Sylo, Centrapay, Centrapass, Immersve, Shadows Interactive, and Altered Phoenix. The aforementioned Web3 companies cover various fields including entertainment and gaming, as well as security, and decentralized finance (DeFi), among others (VB).
- The United States’ Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) has approved nine blockchain-enabled funds from New York-based asset manager WisdomTree. “We believe that blockchain-enabled finance has the potential to improve the investor experience through enhanced liquidity, transparency and standardization” said WisdomTree head of digital assets Will Peck (CT).
- Avalanche network’s second Avalanche Summit is setting the stage for a return to Barcelona, Spain next year. The event will take place from May 3-5, 2023, at the Poble Espanyol. In March 2022, over 4,000 people attended the first Avalanche Summit, which featured guest speakers from the Web3 industry (TW).
Stay up to Date
Subscribe to our newsletter: Web3 Gaming News and Research