Welcome to P2E Analytics’ Web3 Digest where we report on the latest in Web3 games, Non-Fungible Tokens (NFTs), and the metaverse.
Today’s roundup features names such as BNV, Carry1st (backed by Google), KB Home, LIGHTSUM, Microsoft, Nathan Anthony, NCT 127, and Yves Saint Laurent, among others. They are joined by Web3 entities such as Avalanche, Ethereum, Polygon, Decentraland, Masa Finance, Ready Player DAO, Syky, and The Sandbox, to name a few.
Last but not least, games continue to rock the world of Web3 with developments and updates. Titles that made waves today include Axie infinity, Blankos Block Party, Bullieverse, illuvium, My Meta Farm, Kiraverse, and Synergy Land.
Here are the stories that shape Web3.
- Mobile games developer and publisher Carry1st has secured $27 million in a fundraising round led by BitKraft Ventures, with participation from Andreessen Horowitz (a16z). The company will use the capital to boost its publishing and content creation platform in Africa. In 2022, Carry1st raked in $20 million from a16z and Google’s parent company Alphabet (CT).
- Layer-2 (L2) blockchain Polygon has teamed up with Web3 game dev platform Xternity. The partnership aims to migrate role-playing game (RPG) Synergy Land from the Solana ecosystem to Polygon. The onboarding will allow smooth interaction with the more established Ethereum network (CT).
- The price of several tokens from metaverse projects have been surging for the last seven days. For example, virtual world project Decentraland’s native currency $MANA has seen an 81.9% spike in value over the week, beating Bitcoin ($BTC) and Ether ($ETH). Meanwhile, rival metaverse platform The Sandbox’s token $SAND also enjoyed 41.8% gains over the same duration (DC).
- Metaverse fashion ecosystem BNV (Brand New Vision) recently announced the official launch of its M3TALOVE NFT collection. Fans can now purchase the collectibles using either a digital wallet or a credit card. Basically, the project is a collaboration between BNV, Parisian fashion designer Victor Weinsanto, and K-Pop girl band LIGHTSUM. In addition, the NFTs offer holders perks such as exclusive access and many more (BW).
- French luxury fashion house Yves St Laurent recently filed trademark applications related to NFTs and the metaverse. The brand plans to offer multimedia files containing visual art, text, audio, and video, with focus on perfumes and personal care items. Moreover, the company also plans on building a virtual retail store to sell products online (UT).
- Web3 gaming guild Ready Player DAO has formed a partnership with the Avalanche network. In a blog post, the protocol announced that Ready Player is “lending content creator and streamer muscle to Avalanche games.” Essentially, the alliance will bring to the ecosystem a wealth of articles, video, and social media content. Ready Player DAO co-founder Rich Cabrera believes the initiative “demonstrates the commitment” of both parties in supporting Web3 gamers and developers (M).
- Fantasy open-world Web3 game Bullieverse has kicked off its ‘Danger in the Dark Forest’ tournament. Running from January 16-23, the free-to-play event is giving away 250,000 $BULL for the winning participants. Sponsors that pledged support for the event include Britaria, GaspodeWD, Good Games Guild, Mantle Network, and Prom (TW).
- Massively multiplayer online (MMO) game Blankos Block Party (BBP) is one of the titles nominated for the upcoming Gam3rs Choice Awards. Blankos made the shortlist in two categories: Game of the Year and Best Casual Game. BBP gained mainstream attention in 2022 when it became the first Web3 project to be listed on the Epic Games Store (TW).
- Open-world metaverse game My Meta Farm’s Costume Design Contest is accepting submissions starting from January 17 until the 30th. The contest requires participants to design a traditional Vietnamese garment called Ao Dai, using the game’s “Item Maker” feature. Furthermore, the competition will have two voting phases: Phase 1 (January 17 – February 2) and Phase 2 (February 2-6) (MMF).
- Play-to-earn Web3 game Axie Infinity has kicked off its “Axie Origins: Epic Era,” following the conclusion of the Rare Era. Basically, Epic Era will run for two weeks, and will give away a prize pool of 33,600 $AXS. For this season, the game has unlocked Intermediate Crafting, added utility slots, and introduced four updated Epic Runes (AX).
- Earlier this week, an NFT trader known only as “Pokeee,” spent almost a million dollars to purchase 69 DeGods NFTs. The collector amassed the digital assets on NFT marketplace Magic Eden. Apparently, the platform had to upgrade its bulk-buying features to accommodate the one-time purchase, which exceeded the limit of 50. Moreover, Pokeee claims to be the owner of Pokeee.eth Ethereum wallet which holds valuable Bored Ape NFTs (DC).
- Luxury furniture brand Nathan Anthony Furniture, has launched a new limited edition NFT collection. The company’s latest offering consists of 12 digital collectible pieces that showcases the capabilities of generative 3D design. “We’re looking at what the future may hold for our signature furniture designs while still keeping our feet firmly planted on the factory floor” Nathan Anthony Creative Director and Co-founder Tina Nicole said (FLD).
- Digital fashion startup Syky has secured $9.5 million in a Series A funding round led by Reddit co-founder Alexis Ohanian’s VC firm Seven Seven Six. Other entities that pledged support are Brevan Howard Digital, Leadout Capital, First Light Capital and Polygon Ventures Group. Syky is founded by Alice Dehunt, who is best-known for her work as chief digital officer for American fashion brand Ralph Lauren (VB).
Into the Metaverse
- South Korean boy band NCT 127 is holding a metaverse concert called “The NCT 127 Concert Experience.” Running from January 28-30, the event will take place on game platform Roblox. The virtual gigs will feature 3D avatars of the pop group’s nine members. Hit songs that NCT 127 will perform include “Kick It,” “Sticker,” and “2 Baddies.” Additionally, the unit will also drop on the last day of the concert, a repackaged version of their fourth full-length album “Ay-Yo” (KJAD).
- Platform aggregator 1MetaWorld has entered a joint venture agreement with Seoul-based fashion NFT protocol Fame Universe. The partnership aims to support fashion designers and digital creators through phygital (physical and digital) assets. Furthermore, both entities plan to utilize blockchain technology to solve the problems of “fraudulent trading and counterfeiting” in the fashion industry (FF).
- US-based homebuilding company KB Home has launched a virtual “new-home” community in the metaverse project Decentraland. The latest offering features a 3D welcome pavilion and three model homes, in an interactive environment that customers can explore. Moreover, the immersive virtual platform will also allow potential buyers to personalize the design of their future home (BO).
Around the Blockchain
- Hybrid credit protocol and decentralized credit bureau Masa Finance has launched the first soulbound identity protocol for the Ethereum mainnet. The platform will allow the minting of soulbound tokens on Ethereum for Know Your Customer (KYC) verification, credit scores, etc. Masa Finance founders Brendan Playford and Calanthia Mei said that they aim “to help people tap into [an] on-chain credit system with a Web3 credit score” using aggregated data sources (CT).
- Web3 conference NFT Tallinn is setting the stage for a return to Tallin, Estonia. The organizers are expecting 1,500 attendees to attend the event from May 8-10, at the Tallin Creative hub. NFT Tallin is co-hosted by Web3 entities Wof Labs and the Estonian Web3 Chamber. Apparently, government institution Enterprise Estonia and the European Regional Development Fund, are also among the event’s major supporters (CT).
- At the 2023 World Economic Forum in Davos, Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella expressed his belief in blockchain, Web3, and the metaverse. “Blockchain is a technology that has a set of use cases, we at Microsoft support it today” Nadella stated. However, Nadella said that the industry needs a “Chat GPT Moment.” The tech giant boss was referring to artificial intelligence (AI) tool ChatGPT’s sudden success after launching in November 2022 (YN).
Web3 Content Creators
- Brycent: One of the interesting projects that Web3 content creator Brycent featured recently is a third-person shooter game called “Kiraverse.” Built on the Immutable X ecosystem using Unreal Engine 5, the project offers Battle Royale (solos, duos, trios, squads) and Elimination (1v1 up to 10v10) gameplay options.
- Rich Cabrera: Rich Cabrera aka Ready Player Rich, has been setting milestones with his Web3 gaming guild Ready Player DAO. Some of the project’s most recent achievements include a partnership with the Avalanche blockchain. In addition, RPD also released its first ever “Creator Network bounty,” giving participants a shot at the $1,000 bounty.
- Spike: Esports player Spike’s latest YouTube upload aims to “Unlock the Secrets” of autobattler RPG illuvium. In the video, Spike demonstrated various gameplay facets of the Ethereum-built sci-fi project, which his channel touts as the “ultimate creature collector.”
- Yellow Panther: Web3 gaming content creator Yellow Panther’s following continues to grow steadily everyday. One of the projects that the YouTuber currently supports is a gaming platform called Arcana. In one his tweets he claims it will “revolutionize the web3 gaming space.”