Forever 21 and Barbie in the Metaverse, Star Wars NFTs, World Bank Interested in Blockchain Tech
These are the stories that shape Web3.
- Star Wars: Web3-based collectible digital toy company Cryptoys is releasing on May the 24th, its limited edition Star Wars collection featuring 15 variations of the iconic space opera’s beloved characters Luke, Leia, and Darth Vader (TW).
- Sotheby’s: Renowned art auction house Sotheby’s has raked in over $2.4 million through the sale of rare NFTs taken from bankrupt cryptocurrency hedge fund Three Arrows Capital’s (3AC) “Grails” collection (CD).
- World Bank: A recent 49-page report by the World Bank has revealed the international financial institution’s interest in utilizing blockchain technology for tokenizing infrastructure projects (CG).
- Barbie/Forever 21: Fashion retailer Forever 21 has teamed up with toy giant Mattel to launch the ‘Forever 21 x Barbie’ capsule, as well as an artificial intelligence (AI)-designed virtual fashion collection on its metaverse experience on Roblox (CSA).
- Philippines: According to crypto data aggregator CoinGecko’s reports, the Philippines has been leading countries such as China, Singapore, UAE, and Vietnam, in terms of Web3 gaming interest, for three years in a row now (E).
- WEMIX: Blockchain gaming platform WEMIX has launched its Game Staking service. Now available via the Play Staking page, the feature allows users to stake Web3 game tokens to gain rewards (M).
- EgoVersus: First-person shooter (FPS) sci-fi game EgoVersus has teamed up with fellow Avalanche-based NFT project Spy Financial for a “collab sweepstake” that aims to give away various NFT prizes to the winners (TW).
- Primal, an athlete fan token project with integrated move-to-earn (M2E), has announced the May 19 return of its Community Game Night, which will give away a prize pool of $200 USDT to winning participants (TW).
- Illuvium: Autobattler role-playing game (RPG) Illuvium has partnered with quest-to-earn platform DeQuest to introduce the “Illuvium Summer” campaign, which will give away a “massive” $30,000 prize pool to the lucky winners (TW).
- GRIT: Web3 gaming platform Gala Games is launching this week its battle-royale game GRIT on the Epic Games Store. The project allows players to explore the old gun-slinging “wild west” (TW).
- Deadfellaz: Profile picture (PFP) NFT collection Deadfellaz has announced the launch of its ‘Streamingfellaz’ project, which are animated avatars that owners can use on YouTube, Twitch, and video calls (D).
- DIBA, a marketplace that allows users to trade Bitcoin-based NFTs, recently went live along with the release of a Bitcoin-only wallet that can store digital art and music assets (CD).
- JRNY Club: Members-only NFT platform JRNY Club, along with crypto expert Tony Spark, has announced the early June opening of the JRNY Gallery art collective and gallery in Downtown Las Vegas (YF).
- Nelson Mandela: The Nelson Mandela Foundation (NMF), in conjunction with digital art marketplace Glorious Digital, is selling 1,918 NFTs to honor the South African activist and leader, along with goals to raise $1.9 million (BK).
- ApeCoin DAO, the decentralized autonomous organization (DAO) supporting Yuga Labs’ token ApeCoin (APE), has approved a community proposal that aims to incubate and launch projects that will boost APE and Bored Ape’s ecosystem (CD).
Into the Metaverse
- Care Bears/The Sandbox: In the latest edition of metaverse platform The Sandbox’s ‘Unbox,’ the article highlighted the popular 80s characters the Care Bears and its milestones since launching in the virtual world (TW).
- Upland: Open-world metaverse Upland is giving away two tickets to lucky Aston Villa Football Club (AVFC) fans. The Premier League club is slated to face off against Brighton on the 28th of May (TW).
- Baidu’s head of metaverse Ma Jie has left the Chinese technology giant, which recently decided to shift its focus on generative artificial intelligence (AI) (NFTG).
- Metaverse Beauty Week: Creative agency CULT has announced the details to its upcoming Metaverse Beauty Week 2023. Running from June 12 to 17, the conference will be held on Decentraland, Roblox, and Spatial (BL).
- Tornado Cash: A hacker recently used a malicious proposal passed by the Tornado Cash DAO to gain complete control over the cryptocurrency tumbler’s governance system (TB).
- LedgerX: MIAX Exchange Group member MIAX has acquired options exchange LedgerX from Ledger Holdings. The move was part of failed cryptocurrency exchange FTX’s bankruptcy proceedings (TB).
- Swaprun, a DeFi project that was recently audited by blockchain security firm CertiK, appears to have conducted a rug pull on its clients after its developers ran away with $3 million and deleted all its social media accounts (D).
- Lido: Liquid staking protocol Lido Finance’s community members are proposing the addition of a staking feature to the LDO token. The latest offering will have a barrier of entry of 32 $ETH ($57,498.88 as of this writing) (D).