Today’s digest features Web3-based projects going full force in the field of art, culture, fashion, gaming, sports, and DeFi, among others.
Web3 entities that made waves as of late include BendDAO, Better Fan, Binance, Fastex, Graph Blockchain, Immutable X, SoluLab, MNFTM, Mutant Ape Yacht Club, and Rice Protocol. They are joined by the Dubai Racing Club, Esports Players League, Remain, Rotate, and the Seoul Metropolitan Government.
Last but not least, Web3 games are pumping more fuel to the space with various developments. Titles that deserve the spotlight today include Anito Legends, BOYPills, Crabada, Dubai Verse Cup, illuvium, and Play Mojo.
Here are the stories that shape Web3.
- Crypto exchange Binance CEO Changpeng Zhao (CZ), recently appeared in a MasterClass course titled “Crypto And The Blockchain.” CZ shared five key lessons on the educational video streaming platform. The Binance co-founder covered the following topics: The Transfer of Value, Holding Crypto, Decentralization, Managing Risk, and The Future (BSCN).
- Crypto research firm Delphi Digital’s reports reveal that games on Immutable X secured the biggest funding in Web3 last year. Immutable X exclusive games received around $300 million. Meanwhile Immutable X-based multi-chain games raked in more than $600 million in funding, for a grand total of over $900 million (CS).
- Singapore headquartered Esports tournament platform the Esports Players League (ESPL) has unveiled plans to launch ‘ESPL Arena.’ Leveraging the Web3 platform’s “User-Generated Tournament” (UGT) solution, the league can now reward tournament winners with prizes in digital assets. EPL enjoys the support of investors such as Warner Music, 500 Startups, and iCandy Interactive, to name a few (EG).
- Blockchain, AI, & IoT solutions provider company SoluLab has launched its own NFT marketplace. Collectors and enthusiasts can now mint, list, and sell their assets using the platform. The team is looking forward to catering various niches such as art, sports, games, and many more. Additionally, SoluLab also offers several payment options including Coinbase, Metamask, TrustWallet, and WalletConnect (NW).
- BendDAO’s collateral inventory now holds 393 Mutant Ape Yacht Club (MAYC) NFTs. Effectively, the project has overtaken its predecessor Bored Ape Yacht Club’s (BAYC) presence on the borrowing protocol. In total, the assets are worth 6,200 $ETH ($9,677,642 as of this writing). MAYC NFTs created by exposing Bored Ape NFTs to a vial of “Mutant Serum” (NFTG).
- Autobattler Web3 game Crabada’s ongoing Weekly Arena Challenge is now on its 29th installment. This week’s edition features a much higher level cap of 110 (2.star transcended), a huge leap from the previous 80. One of the additions for week 29 is the “hidden opponent” feature. To make the battles more unpredictable, the game’s interface will only reveal two Crabadas in the opponent’s lineup (TW).
- DeFi role-playing game (RPG) illuvium has been nominated in seven categories at the upcoming Web3Gam3r’s ‘Gam3rs’ Choice Awards.” The Ethereum and Immutable X-powered project was included in the list for Game of the Year, Most Anticipated Game, and Studio of the Year. Moreover illuvium also got the nomination for Best RPG Game and Best Action-Adventure Game, among others (TW).
- Fantasy sci-fi project BYOPills has announced that BYOCassette Claim is now live. According to the team, holders who made the snapshot are all eligible to receive a free “BYOCassette” NFT. The Web3 project was made possible through a partnership with digital music producer LostBoy. Basically, full soundtracks are token-gated and downloadable via the links provided in each of the tokens’ descriptions (TW).
- Philippine folklore-inspired collectible NFT game Anito Legends has introduced its “Early Access v0.4.9,” in time for the Lunar New Year. The updates include a slew of changes and additions to the projects. For example, the game now has more weapons and equipment to choose from. Furthermore, the project has also added a new tower boss, as well as “tons of QoLs (Quality of Life)” (TW).
- Polygon-based logic/strategy game Planet Mojo announced its inaugural “Mojo Bowl Tournament,” which will run from February 11-12. Produced in cooperation with esports tournament platform Community Gaming, the event will feature 256 participants vying for a share of the $5,000 prize pool (TW).
- MNFTM has launched its NFT marketplace, which serves as a platform for Black and ethnically-diverse creators and collectors. Basically, the new offering will utilize its own “Comearth” metaverse technology. This will allow customers to interact and avail of services such as minting, portfolio tracking, and pricing, among others (YF).
- NFT-based FinTech startup Bliv.Club has launched “SuperNova” (SNV). The Web3 company touts the plaltform as “the world’s first order-book based NFT perpetual decentralized finance (DEX).” According to Bliv, the project offers a floor-priced, perpetual futures index that tracks five blue-chip NFT collections. The digital collectibles include Bored Ape Yacht Club (BAYC), Mutant Ape Yacht Club (MAYC), Azuki, Doodles and CloneX (FE).
- Bitgert Chain-based DeFi and NFT platform Rice Protocol recently announced the launch of its latest NFT collection ‘Baby Fox.’ Core DAO users can obtain the digital collectibles on NFT marketplace Miidas. The project is composed of 3,000 NFTs of little foxes. Priced at 5 tCore, each Baby Fox also comes with accessories such as clothing and eyewear (BSCN).
Into the Metaverse
- The Seoul Metropolitan Government announced on the 16th of January, the launch of its ‘Metaverse Seoul’ project. The Web3 platform grants the capital city’s residents access to services via a virtual environment. Some of the experiences offered in the metaverse project include exploring Seoul’s attractions, as well as retrieving official documents, or even filing complaints to city officials, among others (CT).
- Scandinavian fashion brands Rotate and Remain (both spinoffs of the 150-year-old Birger Christensen brand), revealed a collaborative project with metaverse platform Ifland. The partnership will present 20 free exclusive digital fashion items. Notably, Rotate and Remain are Ifland’s first fashion partners outside of South Korea. “The collaboration was inspired by a trip to Seoul in 2022” Denise Christensen, CEO of Birger Christensen Collective CEO Denise Christensen stated (G).
- Metaverse-based play-to-earn (P2E) horse racing platform Dubai Verse Cup has teamed up with the Dubai Racing Club to build a new game in the virtual world. Basically, the Web3 platform will allow participants to experience the famous Meydan Racecourse track using their smartphones or augmented reality/virtual reality (AR/VR) devices. In addition, the game will reward horse breeders and race winners with $DVCC tokens (TOD).
Around the Blockchain
- Better Fan has launched its Web3-based gamified sports betting platform. Employing elements of P2E, the project aims to reduce risks for bettors, while allowing them to place bets without using fiat or crypto. “Better Fan’s gamified platform promises to revolutionize the world of sports betting,” Better Fan CEO Metin Durgun stated. Durgun also added that the P2E model “prevents illegal activity because it doesn’t let ‘hard money’ onto the platform” (BW).
- Fasttoken (FTN), the native token of the Fastex ecosystem, is going on public sale on the 18th of January. The Web3 project was developed by SoftConstruct, a tech firm behind BetConstruct, Ucraft, and PandaMR, among others. Essentially, Fastex is planning to integrate FTN with more than 700 gaming partners, starting with hundreds of projects by the end of the month (DC).
- Graph blockchain has completed the development of its trading software Optimum Coin. The Web3-based program utilizes artificial intelligence (AI) technology for its analytics tool, which traders can use for predicting Bitcoin’s ($BTC) price. According to the company, the team “will continue hypothetical trading testing and deploy the software for customers very soon” (YF).
- Brycent: Twitch streamer Brycent was nominated for Gam3r’s Choice Awards’ “Creator of the Year” category. Other Web3 content creators included in the list are Spike, CryptoStache, Cagy, and Jonah Blake.
- Cagy: YouTuber Cagy recently featured Web3 gaming platform Myria, which the developers tout as an ecosystem that powers a million users. “The Myria catalog keeps growing & they just started,” Cagy tweeted. The Juice Team founder also praised the Layer-2 (L2) protocol for being “smooth like Immutable X,” while having “the alignment of the community like $Gala nodes.”
- Hustle: Crypto Banter’s host Hustle recently analyzed the “Gaming Altcoins with Major Potential Upside,” in case the crypto market rally continues. Web3 projects and tokens that he mentioned include Render ($RNDR), SuperVerse (SUPER), Ultra (UOS), Veracity ($VRA), Vulcan Forged ($PYR), and Wasder ($WAS).
- Spike: Web3 gamer Spike has revealed the “Earn Alliance Creators Cup,” which he hopes to turn into the “biggest Web3 content creator cup to date.” Happening on the 27th of January, the tournament will feature 32 teams and will give away $1,500 in cash prizes. Some of the participants include Rich Cabrera, Scott Herman, ‘Stache, and Yellow Panther, to name a few.