The world of Web3 continues to project a more bullish outlook with countless developments occurring in the space.
Leading moves on the blockchain are names such as Art Blocks, Australian Open, Calvin Harris, Gala Games, Meta, Ledger, Sentosa, and the Consumer Electronics Show. They are joined by the likes of Bonk Inu, Continuum, JennyCo, Plato, Ring Games, and TRM Labs, among others.
Meanwhile, on the Web3 gaming front, developers continue to build projects regardless of market conditions. Titles that made moves recenty are Crabada, Derby Stars, Drone Racing League, Goombles, League of Kingdoms, Stella Fantasy, and WAGMI Defense.
Here are the stories that shape Web3.
- The blockchain industry at large has so far been projecting more optimism this year. Despite continuing issues that hound some players in the space, Web3 seems poised to set more milestones. According to reports, crypto market capitalization rose to $884 billion, or 6.7% since the beginning of 2023. Projects with tokens that enjoyed double-digit gains include ApeCoin ($APE), Decentraland ($MANA), Gala ($GALA), and The Sandbox ($SAND) (DC).
- The recently concluded 2023 Consumer Electronics Show (CES) featured a significant amount of metaverse-related innovations. Among the highlights include several devices such as virtual reality (VR) headsets and augmented reality (AR) glasses. Companies that showcased their products even went as far as introducing smell and taste sensory experiences to the metaverse (F).
- Tech conglomerate Meta recently announced plans to add some moderation features to its VR social platform. However, critics pointed out that the upgrades were merely basic aspects that should’ve been integrated from the start. Among the new additions include a “poll to remove” feature that prevents people from spamming vote-to-kick dialogues (TV).
- Electronic dance music producer Calvin Harris is holding an immersive virtual experience on TikTok LIVE on January 13. Basically, the Scottish DJ will appear as an avatar in a digitally animated concert. Users will be able to view the EDM superstar’s first-ever VR performance in 2D for free. On the other hand, fans in Europe and Asia will get to experience the gig in 3D through PICO VR headsets (MR).
- Web3 game developer Ring Games has announced goals to establish 2023 as the “year of Stella Fantasy.” The company also announced plans to bolster the community and form external partnerships. Stella Fantasy is a collectible NFT project that combines action and role-playing game (RPG) elements. As of this writing, the title is 95% done and more content is being added for the upcoming release (INN).
- Drone Racing League (DRL), “the world’s premier professional drone racing property,” has released the trailer of its drone racing game. Ritled ‘Project Drone Galaxy,’ the Algorand blockchain-powered game allows players to build their own drones. Participants can then use the drones to compete in arena races and win in-game rewards (PRN).
- Upcoming breeding and racing game Derby Stars has announced some updates to its whitepaper. Most of the changes introduced new features and improvements to the project. Some of the latest offerings include the addition of a training calendar, descriptions on consumable items, and tokenomics modifications (TW).
- War strategy game League of Kingdoms (LOK) has formed a slew of vital partnerships in the past couple of days. Majority of the team-ups focused on giveaway promos with varying prizes and challenges. Web3 entities that collaborated with LoK include Bifrost, Coin98, Dokdo DAO, Elixir, and OnePlanet (TW).
- Play-to-earn (P2E) autobattler game Crabada has introduced its ‘Battle Game v2.0.1 update.’ The latest version will introduce the following features: Decay Mechanics, “To the Moon,” Awakening, Transcendence, Battle Potions, and Pearls (Inheritance Pearls, Pearls of Awakening, and Pearls of Transcendence) (TW).
- Solana-based token Bonk Inu (BONK) has unveiled plans to mint over 15,000 NFTs on digital collectibles marketplace Magic Eden. Created in conjunction with prominent collections on the network, the latest offering features profile pictures (PFPs) that owners can use on various social media platforms. Artists that worked on the project include John Le and Omni creative studio, the creators of NFT collection The Fracture (CD).
- Middle East-based NFT and Web3 community Arts DAO has formed a partnership with crypto hardware wallet developer Ledger. The collaboration aims to provide ‘cold storage’ solutions to Arts DAO members. To celebrate the team-up, Arts DAO created 100 limited edition Ledger NFTs, along with branded ledgers that owners can use to claim a physical Ledger wallet (AAN).
- Generative art project Art Blocks’ Friendship Bracelet NFTs recently reached the top spot on leading digital asset collectibles OpenSea. On Tuesday, the collection enjoyed the highest 24-hour trading volume on the platform at 996 $ETH (over $1.3 million). Also an Art Collective, Art Blocks facilitates the minting of generative art NFTs. Moreover, it is home to titles such as Tyler Hobbs’ Fidenza and Emily Xie’s Memories of Qilin (CD).
Into the Metaverse
- Singapore’s island getaway Sentosa has updated its brand identity with a new campaign that effectively employs the tagline ‘Where Discovery Ends.” Moreover, the popular destination also launched its ‘SentosaLand’ metaverse project on game platform Roblox. The virtual island allows participants to explore various environments such as beach clubs, garden mazes, and magical forests, among others (TD).
- Body tracking and body analysis computer vision software developer Impakt has launched its metaverse fitness app ‘vSports.’ In a nutshell, vSports is a platform that combines competitive athletics and at-home workouts. Furthermore, the project also employs a computer vision technology that allows the app to identify body parts and offer exercise routine suggestions, feedback, and corrections (PRN).
- Art-focused multidisciplinary blockchain company NFT Technologies Inc. has announced that its project Australian Open (AO) Metaverse is slated to mint for ArtBall 2023 on the 12th of January. Created in conjunction with tennis governing body Tennis Australia, the latest edition rewards holders with a variety of perks from brands such as Decentraland, Joyride Games, OpenSea, and Marriott International, among others (FP).
Around the Blockchain
- Cryptographically secured healthcare data exchange JennyCo has selected Ethereum Layer-2 (L2) scaling solution Polygon to power its beta mobile app and token launch. Essentially, the company aims to utilize the platform’s blockchain technology to allow customers to share and access data and insights (PRN).
- Web3 community think tank Continuum has teamed up with data platform Plato to raise blockchain awareness within both entities’ communities. Plato specializes in curating data intelligence from vertical markets and this collaboration will utilize its content distribution and syndication network to help Continuum expand its global reach (FTT).
- Blockchain intelligence company TRM Labs has announced the launch of ‘TRM Tactical,’ a mobile-first forensics tool that investigators can utilize to unearth cryptocurrency evidence. Basically, TRM Tactical is designed to help in investigating financial crimes such as fraud and money laundering. “For years, investigators have relied on the power of TRM Forensics to trace the flow of crypto assets and link suspicious activity to real-world entities,” TRM Labs co-founder and CEO Esteban Castaño stated (GNW).
Web3 Content Creators
- Brycent: Web3 gamer Brycent blasted people in the space who “are here for quick cash at the expense of others.” The Twitch streamer also revealed that he “turned down opportunities in the bull run,” believing that “quick money ain’t always good money.” Moreover, the content creator expressed his love for “the long term vision of what Web3 gaming can become.”
- CryptoStache: Crypto YouTuber Stache Crypto shared on his Twitter page a video enumerating three reasons why the price of Gala Games’ native token $GALA is pumping. Apparently, the company bought a mobile studio with 20 million users and 15 games that will utilize $GALA for transactions. Stache also attributed the surge to Gala Films’ upcoming collaboration with actors Mark Wahlberg and The Rock.
- Hustle: On the latest edition of Crypto Banter, Hustle featured a tower-defense mobile project that Web3 gamers can play to earn money. The featured game is called “WAGMI Defense,” a PvP sci-fi title on blockchains Ethereum and Binance Smart Chain. According to Hustle, the project offered “one of the smoothest Web3 gaming experiences” that he has “touched in a while.”
- Spike: Web3 content creator Spike has announced a collaboration with Goombles, a 3D Tower Defense mobile game set for launch on Cardano blockchain. The 72-hour promo will give away three ‘Goomlists.’ Touted as “The sweetest NFT in the Metaverse,” Goombles is founded by NFT gamer Farmer Nash.