Alibaba Cloud Blockchain Lab, Web3 Game Hires Final Fantasy Composer, Aptos Labs x Universal Pictures
Today’s Web3 digest features some of the most notable projects in blockchain gaming, non-fungible tokens (NFTs), and the metaverse.
Here are the stories that shape Web3.
- Alibaba Cloud: Tech giant Alibaba will launch a blockchain laboratory in Shibuya, Japan. The firm aims to utilize the incubation center to help Japanese game developers boost their Web3 technology knowledge. Some of the platform’s offerings include blockchain-focused seminars, workshops, and networking events, among others (FB).
- Ivan Linn/Alaska Gold Rush: Strategy fighting Web3 game Alaska Gold Rush has hired renowned composer Ivan Linn to create music for the project. Linn is best known for working on titles such as Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, and the Assassin’s Creed Symphony World Tour. “His experience and talent are second to none,” Alaska Gold Rush founderSylvia Slusarek stated (YF).
- Ticketmaster/Avenged Sevenfold: Ticketing company Ticketmaster has announced that it will enable ‘Deathbats Club’ holders to access concert tickets and discounts using the NFTs. Deathbats Club is a collection of 10,000 NFTs minted exclusively for California-based heavy metal band Avenged Sevenfold. To date, Ticketmaster has minted 15 million digital collectibles tied to events (P).
- Aptos/Universal Pictures: Blockchain developer Aptos Labs has formed a partnership with Signal and Cipher, Forward Studio, and Universal Pictures. The highlight of the team-up is the launch of a “fan-fueled twist” to horror-comedy film Renfield. Releasing on April 14, the movie stars Nicolas Cage as Dracula with Nicholas Hoult as his servant Renfield (PRN).
- Binance/CFTC: Binance is sued by CFTC Over ‘Willful Evasion’ of U.S. laws and unregistered crypto derivatives products. The CFTC alleged Binance offered unregistered crypto derivatives products and directed U.S. customers to evade compliance controls through the use of VPNs (CD).
- Paradise Tycoon: Social building and crafting game Paradise Tycoon recently reached the top spot for Avalanche-based Web3 games. According to decentralized application (dApp) store DappRadar’s rankings, Paradise Tycoon has overtaken Avax titles such as Snail Trail, Pizza Game, and Monsterra. “Thanks to our amazing community of players for helping us achieve this milestone,” the team tweeted (TW).
- MetaDOS: Esports battle royale game MetaDOS has released several new updates to the project. Touted as the “biggest update ever,” ‘Patch Notes v0.4.1.87’ includes changes to various facets of the game. The updates cover improvements on general, UI/UX, player, weapon, and map, along with some bug fixes. Among the update highlights include the addition of an APC9 Pro submachine gun to the arsenal (TW).
- Boss Fighters: Virtual reality (VR) shooter game Boss Fighters is holding a “Big Playtime” closed alpha event on April 8. The Seedify-supported project will introduce new features, improvements, and bug fixes. New additions include in-game chat, and new rocket launcher mechanics, as well as seamless switching to Epic Online Service, among others (TW).
- E4E/ev.io: Esports tournament organizer Esports 4 Everyone (E4E) is holding “The Army of Two” quarterly finals for Web3 shooter game ev.io. On the 1st of April, 32 players will participate in the Solana-based massively multiplayer online (MMO) title. Moreover, E4E is giving away a $500 prize pool to winning competitors (TW).
- NFT Gaming Company: Web3 gaming platform developer the NFT Gaming Company has started using artificial intelligence (AI) entities ChatGPT and MidJourney. According to NFT Gaming CEO Vadim Mats, the company will utilize their partners’ “cutting-edge natural language processing, art-generation capabilities, and massive knowledge base” to “incorporate more sophisticated storytelling, dialogue, and immersive gameplay” (GNW).
- Wassies: Platypus-themed NFT collection Wassies by Wassies saw a 20% surge in price following the launch of a Wassies-inspired boutique hotel. Located in Singapore, the project is a pop-up accommodation that will run from March to September 2023. The six-floor establishment offers 55 rooms in total, with 49 donning Wassie’s trademark purple motif. In addition, the hotel will also feature six rooms that will feature collaborative “Wassies & Friends” artworks (CD).
- UK Treasury: The UK Treasury has announced that it is canceling plans for a government-backed NFT project. The economic and finance ministry aims to use the initiative to turn the country into a global crypto hub. The idea was proposed by Prime Minister Rishi Sunak in April 2022, but was delayed several times last year. Despite the cancellation, economic secretary Andrew Griffith has stated that officials will continue to review the proposal (CD).
Into the Metaverse
- Disney: Entertainment giant Walt Disney Co. has shut down its metaverse division as part of plans to reduce its number of employees. Tasked with formulating metaverse strategies, the segment is one of the first to be affected by Disney’s decision. Furthermore, the metaverse division was also in charge of creating interactive and immersive stories using Disney’s intellectual property. This includes Marvel, Pixar, and Star Wars, to name a few (TC).
- The Sandbox: Metaverse game The Sandbox has partnered with crypto asset security firm Ledger’s B2B division Ledger Enterprise. The team-up aims to bolster security for businesses on the virtual world platform. As a result, enterprises will be able to protect themselves from scams and hacks. Additionally, the partnership will also provide an easier way for users to acquire LAND, as well as allow brands to interact with the ecosystem (NFTP).