The week ends with a bang in Web3 with blockchain games, non-fungible token (NFT), and metaverse projects headlining the space.
Here are the stories that shape Web3.
- Paris Hilton/Muus Collective: Digital entertainment studio Muus Collective has enlisted A-list celebrity Paris Hilton and other women leaders as advisers. Joining her are marketing strategist (AMC Networks, Netflix Sony Pictures) Geetanjali Dhillon and Fremont Private Investments CEO Sabrina Kay. Muus Collective is a company that utilizes Web3 technology to produce fashion-oriented mobile games and digital collectibles (VB).
- Baobab Studios/Momoguro: Baobab Studios, a Disney-backed, nine-time Emmy Award-winning interactive animation studio, has launched an NFT collection. Dubbed “Momoguro,” the family-friendly digital collectibles are part of a broader Momoguro RPG title. Apparently, the company plans to release the project on the ImmutableX gaming ecosystem in Q2 2023 (DC).
- Khabib Nurmagomedov: UFC icon Khabib Nurmagomedov’s NFT collection is now available on the digital collectible market. The offering is part of the undefeated MMA fighter’s partnership with Bitcoin mining firm GMT. Titled the “Khabib NFT Collection,” the Web3 project features designed mining rigs. The NFTs grant owners entry to exclusive events and membership to Nurmagomedov’s private club (PRNW).
- Adidas: Apparel giant Adidas’ Web3 lead Erika Wykes-Sneyd revealed that billionaire entrepreneur Elon Musk “helped open that door” for the company’s blockchain-focused initiatives. Wykes-Sneyd was actually referring to the tech magnate’s announcement that his electric car brand Tesla is accepting Bitcoin ($BTC) as payments (DC).
- Metaverse Fashion Week: Metaverse Fashion Week (MVFW) 2.0 has revealed its lineup. The event will run from March 28-31 on the virtual world platform Decentraland. The event will feature some of the biggest names in the fashion industry. Brands presenting at the MVFW include Adidas, Christopher Kane, DKNY, Dolce & Gabbana, DRESSX, and Tommy Hilfiger (F).
- Fableborne: Game dev studio Pixion Games has announced the launch of a new Creator Program for creators providing Fableborne-dedicated content. Fableborne is Pixion’s upcoming building and role-playing game (RPG) on the Avalanche blockchain. Essentially, the program aims to provide content creators access to various benefits, resources, and opportunities. Pixion Games is a London-based game company founded by developers from Blizzard, Konami, Riot, and Sony, among others (BG).
- VitalXP/Lowlife Forms: Web3 game studio VitalXP has raised $3 million in a pre-seed funding round for its game Lowlife Forms. Entities that led the round include Streamlined Ventures and Marbruck Investments. The project is a modular shooter game set in a dangerous sci-fi/fantasy world. “The game is based on this idea of the intersection of the criminal underworld and science fantasy,” Lowlife Forms creative director Tarik Malak stated (VB).
- Legends of Bezogia: Massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG) Legends of Bezogia has launched its “Lost Keys of Bezogia.” The digital assets will grant holders early access to the game, engage in the Origins Tournament, and receive in-game items. In essence, the virtual keys come in three tiers namely: Wooden Key, Iron Key, and Mythical Key (M).
- AQUA.xyz: Web3 gaming marketplace AQUA.xyz has released a new feature that enables game developers to optimize experiences. This includes the process of purchasing and selling digital assets in blockchain games. Aqua focuses on simplifying complex procedures by employing a smooth check-out process. Currently developing the product, the team has also partnered with trading card game Gods Unchained and zombie survival shooter game Undead Blocks (PRW).
- Web City Club: NFT project Web City Club (WCC) has launched its profile picture (PFP) offering on the Polygon network. Consisting of 10,000 digital “Pet 3piders,” the collection also comes with weekly NFT lotteries, which will kick off in April. The contests were created with licensed blockchain-compatible casino Betspider (CP).
- Artifract.io: Philippine-based NFT platform Artifract.io held a digital exhibit last month at the Union Bank Plaza in Pasig City. The NFT art show highlighted the paintings of renowned Filipino artists. The exhibition includes National Artists for the visual arts Abdulmari Asia Imao and Federico Aguilar Alcuaz, as well as the Presidential Medal of Merit awardee Juvenal Sansó. In addition, premium NFT tiles of the artworks were also auctioned off on the day of launch (IA).
- CoinDesk: Crypto-focused news outlet CoinDesk has partnered with generative artist Fahad Karim to release an NFT collection. The digital collectibles serve as multi-year (and multi-tiered) passes to the news site’s annual Consensus festival. Other Web3 entities that have teamed up with CoinDesk include Artblocks Engine, TokenProof, and Passage protocol (PRN).
- Moondogs: NFT collection Moondogs has greenlighted the $WOOF token airdrop for minters of the digital collectibles on Core mainnet. Moreover, the team also revealed plans to soon release an NFT Staking dApp, along with a marketplace and launchpad for NFTs. Currently, the Moondogs’ website ‘woofsite.com’ has been disabled to allow the devs to integrate the Staking dApp (BSCN).
Into the Metaverse
- Meta: US senators Ed Markey and Richard Blumenthal urged social media giant Meta to stop marketing its metaverse app Horizon Worlds to teenagers. “Your plans to imminently pull these young people into an under-researched, potentially dangerous virtual realm with consequences for their physical and mental health is unacceptable,” Markey and Blumenthal stated in a letter to Meta co-founder and CEO Mark Zuckerberg (CNN).
- CelcomDigi Berhad/SK Telecom: Malaysian mobile service provider CelcomDigi Berhad, has teamed up with South Korean wireless telecom operator SK Telecom. The partnership aims to build a mobile metaverse platform and develop artificial intelligence (AI) for the Malaysian market. Furthermore, both entities also plan to offer metaverse services for fields such as education, entertainment, health, and retail, among others (DT).
- Saxx: Canada-based men’s underwear brand Saxx, in collaboration with virtual reality platform Emperia, has launched its first metaverse shopping experience. The company’s new virtual store will offer cooling apparel from its DropTemp collection. In a statement, Saxx CEO Wendy Bennison said that the virtual store gave the brand the “opportunity to bring DropTemp technology to life in an unexpected setting” (RD).
- The Sandbox: Metaverse platform The Sandbox has revealed that a phishing email was sent to users, following a security breach. Titled “The Sandbox Game (PURELAND) Access,” the email contained malware links to extract private information from unsuspecting victims. Apparently, an unauthorized third party accessed a Sandbox employee’s computer which was then used to disseminate the email (CD).
Around the Blockchain
- Phaver/CyberConnect: Web3 social app Phaver has announced its integration with decentralized social graph protocol CyberConnect. The partnership will enable over 190,000 ccProfile holders to use their identity in Phaver’s app. Phaver’s 170,000 users can create their on-chain social profile using CyberConnect’s scalable storage capabilities (CT).
- SkyBridge/Al Maskari: Anthony Scaramucci-led investment firm SkyBridge and Abu Dhabi-headquartered Al Maskari Holding (AMH) will provide strategic support to enterprise-grade blockchain company Casper Labs. SkyBridge and AMH will offer assistance on matters regarding business development, investor relations, and marketing services (CD).
- Manga Productions: Saudi Arabian entertainment firm Manga Productions has entered an agreement with Web3-dedicated venture capital firm Animoca Brands. The team-up aims to showcase the animation and video games-focused company’s content and characters through various blockchain projects. In a statement, Manga Productions’ CEO Essam Bukhary said that the entities “can create engaging and unique experiences that appeal to a wide audience” (AN).
Web3 Content Creators
- Brycent: Awards show organizer Web3 Gam3r teased the upcoming after-event video for the Gam3rs’ Choice Awards. The team also shared a footage featuring Brycent accepting the trophy for the Content Creator of the Year award. According to the event’s host, the video is “about 80% done editing” and will be released soon.
- Hustle: In another edition of Crypto Banter’s ‘In The Game,’ host Hustle invited Treasure DAO co-founder Karel Vuong to highlight the Arbitrum-built network. The discussion focused on various developments on the Treasure DAO Web3 gaming ecosystem, including its native token $MAGIC. Projects that the session touched on include Bridgeworld, Knights of the Ether, and The Beacon, to name a few.
- Stache: Web3 gamer Stache has partnered with Stella Fantasy, an “EPIC new anime-inspired action RPG” for a give away campaign. The crypto “Secret Agent” will reward lucky participants with Stella Fantasy Gear Boxes. Furthermore, Stache will also release the game’s review video this weekend as part of the next GIA mission.
- Yellow Panther: Web3 gaming influencer Yellow Panther put the spotlight on Treasure DAO’s own gaming studio called Darkbright. According to the young content creator, the company was tasked to develop the NFT project Smolverse’ game Smolville.